25 Ways to Relax for those in Gulfport
Updated: Jul 26
Whether you live in Diamondhead, Long Beach or Biloxi, these activities can help bring you calm.
Whether you're dealing with anxiety, depression, work or relationship problems; finding ways to bring you're stress level down can have a dramatic impact on the problems that you're currently experiencing. When we experience higher levels of stress we tend to regress back to behavior that is comfortable. Usually this comfortable behavior can be destructive towards ourselves and others. Try using some of these approaches to help calm down and evaluate your thoughts and motivations for the situation that is currently causing you stress.
1. Take a bath with epson salt and essential oils. Pay attention to the lighting that you use, utilize candles to create a relaxing environment.
2. Take a walk on the beach barefoot. Not only will the sun exposure help boost Vitamin D levels, but the exercise combined with grounding yourself will help connect you to your core.
3. Get exercise; whether it's riding a bike, running, lifting weights or going for a walk. This releases endorphins into you're body that can change the way you feel.
4. Write down how you're feeling. Identify three feelings that you're currently experiencing.
5. After you write down your feelings, write down a time that you experienced similar feelings. You may be surprised by what comes up for you.
6. Use essential oils like lavender to create a relaxing environment.
7. Shut off all your electronics. Give yourself a break from having to be on.
8. Think about three experiences that you're grateful for and then visualize them.
9. Write down all the things that you need to get done. Put it all on paper so you don't have to keep track of it in your head.
10. Eat your favorite meal. Close your eyes and use your senses while you're doing this.
11. Talk to a close friend.
12. Take a walk and allow your mind to clear itself.
13. Listen to music.
14. Draw, paint or doodle.
15. Go listen to live music.
16. Read non-fiction material.
17. Practice 4-Square breathing. (in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, out for 4 seconds and hold for 4 seconds. Repeating 4 times.)
18. Watch something funny.
19. Play a musical instrument.
20. Write a list of 50 successes that you've had in your life.
21. Practice affirmations in the mirror. ( I am ________ )
22. Go fishing.
23. Listen to a podcast on something interest you.
24. Get a massage or a pedicure.
25. Go to a book store or library and browse.
Casey Bearss, MA, LPC
Casey Bearss is a counselor who specializes in dealing with issues of anxiety, ADHD, and depression. He is the owner and Licensed Professional Counselor at Bolt Counseling Services in downtown Gulfport, MS located near Long Beach, Biloxi, Diamondhead, Pass Christian, Long Beach and Bay St. Louis in Mississippi. To link to Casey Google +. Call us today at 228-382-3138 to learn more and schedule an appointment.